In Minnesota, hemp products containing cannabinoids are legal. Where does that put smokable hemp?
Is hemp flower legal in Minnesota? Let’s take a look at the legal status of hemp flower in Minnesota.
Last Update: August 2, 2023
- CBD flower with less than 0.3% THC can be legally bought in Minnesota. The state allows the sale and possession of hemp products that contain non-intoxicating cannabinoids with less than 0.3% THC.
- You can buy smokable hemp flower in online stores and retail shops in the state.
- Hemp CBD products, including edibles, are legal in this state if manufactured and sold under specific testing and labeling requirements.
- Edible products containing hemp cannabinoids must be presented in packaging that’s not appealing to children.
- Individuals and business entities interested in growing hemp must obtain a license from the Department of Agriculture.
Is Hemp Flower Legal in Minnesota?
Yes, CBD flower with less than 0.3% THC is legal in Minnesota.
Products containing non-intoxicating cannabinoids and are derived from hemp are fully legal in Minnesota.
Under the state’s Statutes, you can lawfully buy smokable hemp products without restrictions, including ordering online.
The state legalized hemp as an agricultural crop in 2015 — when the Minnesota Industrial Hemp Development Act (IHDA), Minnesota Statutes 18K, became law.
Since then, they’ve made some amendments that confirmed hemp is an agricultural plant and expanded the definition of hemp as a legal crop. The underlined section of the industrial hemp definition was added in 2019.
Under Minnesota’s law, industrial hemp means:
“The plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of the plant, whether growing or not, including the plant’s seeds, and all the plant’s derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3% on a dry weight basis .”
The law emphasizes that industrial hemp is excluded from the definition of marijuana.
Licensed individuals may possess, transport, process, sell or buy industrial hemp grown according to Minnesota law or lawfully grown in another state. In Minnesota, farmers can grow hemp for fiber, grain, or medical-type usages.
Where to Buy Hemp Flower in Minnesota?
The most convenient way to buy hemp flower in Minnesota is to order online.
Minnesota Hemp Flower for Sale
Order 100% USA grown hemp flower from Mr. Hemp Flower and get:
- Organically-grown hemp flower with less than 0.3% THC.
- Hemp flower grown in the best USA farms, in Oregon, Colorado, and Washington State
- Hemp flower delivered straight to your door.
- Free shipping on orders over $100.
- High-quality hemp flower grown by licensed farmers.
Tested hemp flower by an independent, third-party lab.
High-CBD Hemp Flower
Which strain will work for me?
If this is your first time buying hemp flower, you can try strains with lower levels of CBD. For first-time users, we recommend Lifter Plus CBD Hemp Flower, which contains 14.2% CBDa.
The CBDa content of 14 percent is the average CBD content in hemp flowers. Combined with the incredible terpene profile, this strain can have a calming effect, without making you sleepy.
If you are familiar with the flavor of hemp, we recommend Special Sauce CBD Hemp Flower.
With almost 17% CBDa and an excellent terpene profile, this hemp flower is a top seller in the international trimmed flower market. If you are after a stronger flavor, you won’t be disappointed by choosing Special Sauce.
Organically-Grown Hemp Flower
Hemp is one of nature’s finest healing plants, and regular use of pure, organically-grown hemp flower is vital. Our hemp flower is grown in clean soil and is tested as non-GMO and pesticide-free.
Hemp Flower by Licensed Farmers
Working with licensed farmers with over five years of experience in this industry is a priority for us.
Hemp flower with high CBD levels, amazing smell, and flavor comes from growers that know what it takes to create beautiful strains. The growers we work with are licensed in Oregon, Washington State, and Colorado.
Smoking Hemp Flower in Public
For now, Minnesota doesn’t prohibit smoking hemp flower in public. The state legalized adult-use marijuana and there are no laws in place that prohibit the use of cannabis in most public spaces.
To be sure whether you can use CBD flower in public in this state, check local laws on smoking.
Hemp Production in Minnesota
Individuals and business entities that want to grow industrial hemp in Minnesota must get a license from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.
Individuals and businesses can apply to get a:
- Growers license;
- Processors license (allow a person or business to store, handle, or convert raw industrial hemp into a marketable product) and;
- Handlers license (allows a person or business to handle, store, or sell raw industrial hemp, including seed for planting).
Everyone who wants to test or research hemp also needs a license.
The USDA approved Minnesota’s revised Hemp Program in May 2021, after the release of the Final Rule.
The 2022 Minnesota Statutes provide additional regulations for the production of hemp-derived products that contain cannabinoids and edible cannabinoid products. Manufacturers must follow testing and labeling requirements that ensure children’s safety.
Is CBD Legal in Minnesota?
Yes, CBD products derived from hemp with a concentration of no more than 0.3% THC are legal in Minnesota.
State law legalized hemp and all of its parts, derivatives, and cannabinoids (except THC) with less than 0.3% THC on a dry-weight basis.
Up until January 1, 2020, the sale of CBD products intended for human or animal consumption was not legal. Today, state law allows the sale and possession of hemp products containing non-intoxicating cannabinoids, including edibles with less than 0.3% THC.
Minnesota’s Statutes (revised 2022) define “edible cannabinoid product” as “any product that is intended to be eaten or consumed as a beverage by humans, contains a cannabinoid in combination with food ingredients, and is not a drug.”
CBD products must meet the following requirements to be considered legal:
- Proper labeling: Name and contact information of the manufacturer/name and contact information of third-party lab that tested the product for the stated amount of CBD.
- THC levels: No more than 0.3%.
- Health claims are prohibited, unless for FDA-approved medication
- Safety: Only trace amounts of heavy metals, pesticides, or fertilizers allowed.
- Labeled as products that have not been evaluated by the FDA.
Aside from testing and labeling requirements, edible cannabinoid products must not be presented in packaging that’s appealing to children. The label of the product must contain:
- The serving size;
- The cannabinoid serving and in total;
- A list of ingredients, including identification of any major food allergens declared by name; and
- The following statement: “Keep the product out of reach of children.”
FAQ on Hemp Flower Minnesota State Laws
How much hemp flower can you purchase at once (or one time) in Minnesota?
The state of Minnesota doesn’t have a limit on the quantity of hemp flower you are allowed to buy at once. Some growers, hemp flower shops, or dispensaries may have a limit on the quantities of hemp for sale in this state.
Do you need a special license to purchase hemp flower in Minnesota?
If you are just a regular consumer, you don’t need a license to buy hemp flower in Minnesota. If you are planning on buying hemp to process, handle, transport, test or market, you need a license to buy hemp flower.
Is it legal to sell hemp flower in Minnesota?
Yes, it is legal to sell hemp flower in Minnesota. Hemp is an agricultural crop in this state and the law allows individuals to possess, transport, sell, or buy industrial hemp with less than 0.3% THC.
Is CBD from hemp legal in Minnesota?
CBD from hemp is fully legal in Minnesota. The sale of CBD products that meet certain labeling and testing requirements, including edibles containing hemp cannabinoids are legal to buy and possess in this state.
Where can you buy hemp flower in Minnesota?
Yes, you can buy hemp flower in Minnesota. The state is in the process of forming hemp markets, so quality hemp flower might not be easily available. That’s why many people in Minnesota order their hemp flower from MrHempFlower.com. Ordering your hemp flower online is, by far, the most convenient way to get your hemp flower in Minnesota.
Is CBD oil legal in Minnesota?
Yes, CBD oil is fully legal in Minnesota as long as it contains a THC concentration of 0.3% or less.