Does delta-8 THC get you high? Is delta-8 THC right for you? Your most burning questions, answered!
The hemp plant is a complex entity with over 100 naturally occurring compounds known as phytocannabinoids. A secondary cannabinoid, delta-8 THC’s impressive therapeutic benefits and mild psychotropic effects stole traditional THC’s spotlight.
About to try delta-8 THC for the first time? Let’s take a look at how this cannabinoid works in the body.
What Is Delta-8 THC?
You know delta-9 THC as the main psychotropic compound in the hemp plant, aka the one that gets you high. Well, delta-8 THC is a sister cannabinoid of the traditional delta-9 THC. The hemp plant produces trace amounts of delta-8 (less than 0.1%), so extractors concentrate delta-8 into consumable products.
Exploring delta-8 THC? Check out our comprehensive delta-8 THC user guide, where we explain benefits, uses, and legality.
Will Delta-8 THC Get You High?
Yes. Delta-8-THC will get you high. Delta-8 THC produces a different “high” than cannabis’ main psychotropic cannabinoid delta-9 THC. Delta-8 thc gives you a clear headed high. You will experience a semi-sedative body high minus the heavy mental stimulation triggered by traditional THC. This depends on the dosage (start small and go slow) and your level of tolerance to the compound.
Delta-8 THC is 50 to 75 percent less potent than delta-9 THC. In some cases, delta-8 proved three to 10 times less potent than it’s cousin delta-9 THC .
With delta-8 THC, you will experience a mild, clear-headed high that allows you to keep moving and crush the day. You will feel like yourself, but better.
Delta-8 enthusiasts second the compound’s effects as a sleep aid and anti-anxiety effects. You’ll find it easier to sleep, completely eliminate anxious thoughts, and have a restful night. You will still get a mellow high, so avoid driving or anything that could put you or someone else in danger.
Delta-8 THC packs much less of a punch than delta-9 but gives similar awesome therapeutic benefits. The best part about delta-8 THC is that you will avoid all of the jittery, anxious, racy mind feeling produced by traditional THC. We all know that prolonged delta-9 use may trigger a rollercoaster of overwhelming emotions, paranoia, or a near panic attack.
Expect none of that with delta-8 THC. Yes, you will get slightly baked, but remain calm, clear-headed, and worry-free.
Delta-8 THC is the middle ground between delta-9 THC and CBD. If you don’t like how delta-9 makes you feel, but benefit from its therapeutic effects, delta-8 might be the perfect replacement. If you like CBD, but need something a little bit stronger, delta-8 THC is the way to go.
Why Does Delta-8 Get You High?
Delta-8 THC gives you a “high” because it binds to the CB1 receptor located in the central nervous system. The CB1 receptor mediates psychoactivity, pain regulation, motor control, and memory processing .
A main part of the endocannabinoid system (ECS), the CB1 receptor mediates the psychotropic effects of delta-9 THC and delta-8 THC. This receptor is one of the primary receptors (together with the CB2 receptor) of the endocannabinoid system. The endocannabinoid system is a complex cell-signaling portal to the medical goodness of hemp’s compounds. The ECS comprises endocannabinoids, endocannabinoid receptors, and enzymes that together balance out key processes like :
- Reproduction and fertility
Both delta-9 THC and delta-8 THC bind to the CB1 receptor distributed throughout the central nervous system. Unlike delta-9 THC, delta-8 THC is less potent and doesn’t produce the same mind-altering effects. The reason for that is their slightly different chemical structure that makes both molecules produce different outcomes.
Delta-8 THC is a double bond analogue of delta-9 THC. This means that delta-8 THC has a similar chemical structure to delta-9, with a minor difference. The difference between the two is in the placement of the double bond (hence the term delta in their name). The double bond is located on the eighth carbon atom in delta-8 and on the ninth in delta-9, leading to completely different psychotropic and therapeutic effects.
How to Get the Best Delta-8 Experience
Our number one recommendation is to buy high-quality delta-8 THC products. It’s a no-brainer, but low-quality delta-8 THC cartridges, flower, or edibles will not yield the desired results but leave you unsatisfied with the experience. A quality delta-8 THC product, on the other hand, is something else. You will notice a huge difference in effect, especially if you’ve tried delta-9 THC before.
Is Delta-8 Right For You?
The only way to know if delta-8 THC is right for you is to try it. The best way to find out what effects a cannabinoid will have on your body is to give it a go. If this cannabinoid is right for you, we guarantee you, it’ll be the highlight of your long day or a stressful week.
Delta-8 THC embodies the perfect replacement of delta-9 THC. Consider delta 8 if delta-9 provides relief but makes you anxious or exacerbates your sleeplessness or depression.
If you are looking for a natural solution to pain, anxiety, nausea, you should try delta-8 THC. Here are some of this cannabinoid’s proven benefits:
- Potent Antiemetic – studies show that delta-8 THC prevents nausea and vomiting in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. For many, it’s a phenomenal antiemetic to fight a hangover or to prevent motion sickness.
- Powerful Appetite Stimulant – tetrahydrocannabinols (predominantly delta-9 THC) are powerful appetite stimulants. Delta-8 THC is the perfect appetite stimulant replacement for delta-9 THC, providing the same therapeutic effect without the anxiety-ridden high.
- Anxiolytic (Anti-anxiety) Properties – delta-8 THC helps with anxiety and serves as an excellent replacement for delta-9 as a natural anti-anxiety agent.
- Neuroprotective (Memory-boosting) Effects – delta-8 THC boosts your brain’s neurotransmitter that enhances learning, memory, attention, motivation, and sleep.
- Analgesic (pain-relieving) properties – by directly binding to the CB1 receptor, delta-8 THC also exhibits potent pain-relieving effects.
We need more studies looking at the side-effects of delta-8 THC. That said, consult a medical professional before taking any cannabinoid, including delta-8 THC.
A 1995 study published in Life Sciences found that delta-8 THC’s ability to prevent and reduce nausea in children comes with minimal side-effects, even if administered in higher doses .
A 2018 systematic review published in Pharmaceuticals found that delta-8 THC slowed heart rate in animals, but increased heart rate in humans .
How to Recognize High-Quality Delta-8 THC Oil?
Delta-8 THC is a fairly new cannabinoid product and you might come across vendors that want to cash in on low-quality products. Some indicators to help you recognize top-shelf delta-8 THC oil:
- Taste. Some delta-8 THC products display a weird terpene taste and, reportedly, if used regularly, give the user a headache. This could be because of two reasons, either the delta-8 oil is low-quality or the terpenes are fake and thrown together to mimic the taste of cannabis. Mr. Hemp Flower uses strain-specific terpenes in each product, which means the terpenes are derived from a particular hemp strain. For our Stormy Daniels Delta-8 Pre Rolls, we have a few, all-natural terpene options like Gorilla Glue, Wedding Cake, Grape Ape, and Apple Jack.
- Smell. Delta-8 THC distillate is a clear substance with no smell. The smell comes from the terps added to the cart, so again, make sure the company you are buying from uses natural terpenes. Our Delta-8 Vape Carts come with added strain-specific terpenes naturally derived from strains like Sour Diesel and Granddaddy Purple.
- Extraction process. Make sure the vendor is using natural extraction processes, and there are no synthetic cannabinoids in the distillate. At Mr. Hemp Flower, we work with a top-tier extractor that uses ethanol (food-grade) extraction process to get the delta-8 molecule from full spectrum cannabis oil. We use organically grown cannabis from licensed U.S. farmers and provide lab results for each of our products.
Our products have a great ratio combo of CBD flower and delta-8 distillate. We’ve found that Stormy Daniels Hemp Flower and Elektra Hemp Flower go particularly well with Delta-8 THC oil. Not only do they smoke nice and have a smooth taste, but they take away your anxiety and pain.
Will you give delta-8 THC a try? We’d love to hear all about your experience! Connect with us on our social media or leave your review once you try our products.
From a few days to a few months, depending on how much you use, your metabolism, genetics, etc.
A delta 8 cartridge is a small attachment pre-filled with delta-8 oil that you can attach to a vape pen.
Delta 8 thc produces a more mellow, clear-headed high without the anxiety and couch-ridden feeling provided by delta-9 THC.
Delta 8 stimulates appetite, helps with sleep and anxiety, relieves pain and inflammation, and may improve memory.
Hemp-derived delta 8 is legal on a federal level. State wide, it’s legal in states where hemp tetrahydrocannabinols (aside from delta-9 THC) are legal.
No. Delta-8 THC and CBD are different phytocannabinoids naturally occurring in the hemp plant.